The Drum Tower Tour photo copyrighted by: BeijingChinaWorld
The Drum Tower was built in 1272 during the reign of Kublai Khan, at which time
it stood at eh very heart of the Yuan capital Dadu. At that time it was known as
the Tower of Orderly Administration (Qizhenglou). In 1420, under the Ming
Emperor Yongle, the building was reconstructed to the east f the original site
and in 1800 under the Qing Emperor Jiaqing, large-scale renovations were carried out. In 1924, the name of the building was changed to the Tower of Realizing Shamefulness (Mingchilou) and objects related tot eh Eight-Power Allied Forces' invasion of Beijing and later the May 30th Massacre of 1925 were put on display. Nowadays, the upper story of the building serves as the People's Cultural Hall of the East City District.
Find more include("ccpp-images.php"); ?> images in the include("ccp.php"); ?> gallery of Photorena.
All pics are under copyright of the photographer